Caramel Popcorn, I’d never been a big fan…until I found this recipe, and it is, aMaZinG! It is soft, chewy, and delicious!! In fact, it is such a hit in our home that as I was trying to take photos to share with all of you, my husband was sneaking popcorn out of the silver bowl in the back of the photo. Yep, that is how irresistible this recipe is. And unfortunately we can’t stop eating it until it’s actually gone. Yes we take a break to eat dinner in between, but that’s really just a formality, and then we greedily head back to the caramel popcorn. Try it, and you will see. I’m not exaggerating. At all. 😉
I’ve altered this recipe a bit to make it healthier. I know, I know, it caramel popcorn! It’s meant to be unhealthy, but I couldn’t resist trying to make it a little more guilt-free, and easier on our bodies to process. How, you ask? By not using microwave popcorn (with all the additives and food coloring in the questionable butter flavoring that most of them use), and using honey instead of corn syrup. And we’ll keep the rest as is. I know you’ll love it! Enjoy! 😉
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup honey (or corn syrup-Grrr!!)
- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- In a large pot, cook the olive oil and popcorn kernels over medium high heat. Make sure to place the lid on the pot or you'll have popcorn flying everywhere. Also, gently shake the pot back and forth as the kernels begin to pop (I also use hot pads while doing this in case steam is coming out), to keep it from burning. Once the popcorn starts to pop and fill the pot, you may need to dump some out so it doesn't get too full, so keep a large bowl close!
- Once the popcorn is done, and you've put it into a large bowl or two medium sized bowls, shake it in the bowls to get any un-popped kernels to fall to the bottom of the bowl, and then carefully scoop the popped popcorn to a new bowl and throw away any un-popped kernels. I know, it's a bit monotonous, but important so that you don't accidentally chomp on a rock hard kernel. Ouch! Set aside until the caramel is ready. (Make sure you have the popcorn in a very large bowl, or two medium sized bowls so you have plenty of space to stir the caramel in).
- In a large sauce pan stir together butter, brown sugar, and honey and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and stir in the sweetened condensed milk. Stir constantly scraping the sides of the pan with a rubber spatula for about 5 minutes. (The longer you cook the caramel, the more firm it will be. If you'd like it on the softer side (like I do), cook it for around 4 minutes 30 seconds).
- Once the caramel is done, pour it over the popcorn and stir. Keep stirring until it is sufficiently covered for your taste. Serve warm, or at room temperature.
- You can also add in candy, nuts, or drizzle it with white or dark chocolate. Enjoy!!