I’m sharing these today via my sister-in-law. She made these Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars during the holidays, and lucky for me, she brought them to nearly every family gathering we had. I can unabashedly say that I bee-lined it for these cookie bars on more than two occasions, and may have loaded up our take home plate with the 6-8 stragglers that were left…yes, I’ll admit it, that was me. How could I resist? They are that amazing!
These are sweet, and oh so soft and chewy, exactly the way I like my cookies, just in bar form. A great addition to this cookie bar is using Mexican Vanilla Extract instead of the regular vanilla extract. I had heard people raving about Mexican Vanilla recently, but wasn’t a believer until my sister-in-law made these using some Mexican Vanilla we had both recently purchased, and let me tell you, they were to die for! I later made them with regular vanilla, trying to dutifully use up the rest of my regular vanilla so as not to waste it, and I must say, they were good, I still loved the texture, and we still devoured the pan, but they also seemed to be missing their amazing flavor, and that’s when I became a believer.
Mexican Vanilla Extract can be tricky to find at your local grocery store, but you can find it here, or check out globalgoods.com if you’re looking to order it in bulk! And by bulk I mean 12 or more. It’s a great deal since the price for each bottle is cut in half compared to buying just one. Then you can share them with family or friends who would be interested in trying Mexican Vanilla, and I can assure you, they won’t want to go back! I’m just grateful for my sweet neighbor who shared hers with me!
But seriously, whatever kind of vanilla you currently have in your cupboard, these are worth a try! They are soft and gooey when warm, and soft and chewy after they cool. The perfect combination!
What is your favorite type of dessert bar?
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), melted and slightly cooled
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (use Mexican Vanilla Extract if you have it!) -You're welcome! ;)
- 3 cups all-purpose four
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking pan with tinfoil and spray lightly with cooking spray or cover lightly with oil (I use olive oil). Set aside.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat until well combined. Add all dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips (I like to stir in 1 cup of chocolate chips and save the remaining 1/2 cup to put on top of the bars just before baking).
- Once the dough is mixed, press into baking pan (sprinkle last 1/2 cup of chocolate chips over the top and press into the dough if desired).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely and then cut into squares.