For any of you who love a slightly tart and decadently sweet cookie, this is the cookie for you! The first time I made these I ended up eating at least six cookies right off the cookie sheet (which I do all the time, but not generally six of them!), and I had doubts…SERIOUS doubts that there would be any left for my husband to try when he got home. It took a great deal of will power to save him one. But the rest were definitely goners.
I later took them to a family function (I had to make a new batch mind you), and was pleased to see that I was not the only one who loved them. These cookies are light and buttery with a mixture of sweet and mildly tart lemon. I love them you guys! Which is quite amazing because I’ve never been a fan of sweet and tart things (you know, like those sour patch gummies?-yeah, never been a fan). I like the sweet, just not the tart. But I’ve got to tell you, (again), that I love these! So whether you’re a tart fan or not, give them a try, you might be pleasantly surprised like I was. Just try not to eat the entire batch! 😉
This recipe originally called for lemon zest which I did not have on hand at the time so I altered it a bit by adding a little more lemon juice to the cookies, and it turned out great! You can also add lemon zest to the glaze, but it tastes wonderful without it too!
So tell me, are you a tart fan? Let me know in the comment section below.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plain kefir or yogurt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat sugar and butter with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the honey, lemon juice, and egg and beat until well blended.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and add to sugar mixture alternating with the kefir or yogurt until fully incorporated, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheet, or a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottoms.
- For the glaze: Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and stir with a whisk to incorporate. Brush powdered sugar mixture evenly over hot cookies (you can also sprinkle them at this time with grated lemon rind if you so choose). Remove cookies from the pan soon after you put the glaze on otherwise they will stick! Enjoy!